The Increasing Importance Of Nonprofit Advertising
An organization directed towards helping a social cause or spreading a noble message shared by all the organization members is termed a nonprofit organization. Nonprofit organizations do not provide monetary benefits to its members; instead, it uses its income to achieve its objective, i.e., helping society as a whole.
An NPO usually generates its income through donations from individual donors, sometimes corporations, sales, fundraising, government funding and charity marketing. Charity marketing campaigns are usually run through a donation website. But the most important thing to note is how they advertise and promote their cause to increase their reach to donors, but before we get further into the details of NGOs, let’s have a look at the best NGOs in the world.
Best Non Profit Organizations in the World:
- Amnesty International: Amnesty International is a nonprofit organization based in the United Kingdom. It focuses primarily on human rights. It works to prevent and diminish any racial, physical, or mental abuse and has helped thousands of people ever since its advent.
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America: This NPO is based in the USA, and has taken upon helping people with reproductive issues such as childbirth, prenatal care, and screening, etc.
- Charity Water: This organization strives to bring safe and clean water to developing countries. Their donations and funds go into water projects, and they work to convert their visitors into donors. They also have a donation website through which anyone can donate.
- Memphis Zoo: Founded in 1906, Memphis Zoo is based in Tennessee, USA and is a shelter for over 4500 animals. It preserves animals for education, research, and conservation.
- World Monuments Funds: It was created in 1965 with the idea of preserving and conserving heritage and cultural sites throughout the world. It aims to discontinue the erosion of extraordinary artistic and monumental treasures of the world.
- Uryadi’s Village: It was built to help orphaned kids and struggling families in Ethiopia not ask for outside help.
- Habitat for Humanity: It is a US-based organization that works in all fifty states and extends its help to 70 countries. It has helped anchor thousands of individuals and families towards safe shelter. It provides strength and steadiness to people.
- Shanti Bhavan: It is based in Tamil Nadu, India. Its sole purpose is to provide quality education to the deprived residents of the society so that they can compete well in the future world order.
- The Pad Project: In some parts of the world, menstruation is unacceptable and is considered taboo or disease even in such modern times. When young girls reach puberty, they are considered an outcast, and as a result, they have to curb education and drop out of school. This association provides opportunities and machines to women so that they can make reusable sanitary napkins and live in society as free individuals.
- Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital: This organization is based in Pakistan, and its purpose is to serve patients suffering from cancer with treatment through the best modern methods. It also supports its medical staff to get trained and educated in research and medical science.
Marketing of Non-Profit Organizations:
Marketing is essential for nonprofits to increase their funds, spread awareness about their cause and to continue delivering impact.. It is a tad bit tougher for NPOs to invest in advertising because of the dearth of capital. Advertising helps nonprofit get the exposure they require, brand their organization effectively and increase visibility.Effective marketing is important to reach out to new donors, maintain strong relationships with existing donors and continue garnering the support nonprofits need in order to survive.
Why is advertising important?
There is a dire need for nonprofits to spread awareness about their work in order to continue doing more work to achieve their mission. Fundraising can be a hassle if the audiences don’t show interest in your event. Advertising helps build the nonprofit’s brand, educate masses about their cause and attract donors. So it is important to spread the word as much as possible.
You may also attract unpaid assistants and partnerships for your NPO through advertising. Effective advertising is essential to increase donations. Sometimes people do not have enough finances for donating, but they are ready to volunteer; you can use that workforce to improve your NGO business.
Challenges Faced by NPOs:
NPOs focus primarily on their daily operations to deliver the ground level impact in the society, most of their funds are invested in operational setting and execution. A lack or shortage of funding can create devolution in NGO organizations. This is why advertising can take a backseat for nonprofits in case of limited resources as this deviates the organization from your social cause. Sometimes governments make some cutbacks, which makes running an NGO harder. If there is an increase in the need of a nonprofit’s service, it further nudges the nonprofit to cut back on advertising or marketing.
There are countless NPOs in the world working not for profit but for the welfare of underprivileged people. It is our duty as a society to help the cause of such organizations, whether through donations or by spreading word of mouth. Marketing in today’s world plays a pivotal role for nonprofits to establish their business, increase awareness and increase donations.
Donorbox is a powerful fundraising software that is helping over 30,000 nonprofits across the world increase their online donations, by providing excellent donor experience and helping engage with their donors better.
This article has been published in accordance with Socialnomics’s disclosure policy.