The beauty industry has been around for centuries. But much like everything else, some aspects of it have changed thanks to the widespread use of the internet. A large number of retailers who worked only in physical stores just a few years ago have now switched to eCommerce stores, and that isn’t the only change.
The world of cosmetic marketing has been drastically altered and so have beauty trends, the way consumers purchase products, and what influences them to make a purchase. The beauty industry is being reshaped by certain marketing trends and this is something we all need to be aware of.
So, let’s dive a bit deeper and find out what marketing trends are changing the world of beauty products.
Creating an Online Beauty Community
The internet has allowed the creation of online beauty communities, groups of people who follow one brand and are loyal to it. Communities are a great place for people with similar tastes and interests to get information and start discussions about their favorite brands.
The best way to create a successful online beauty marketing campaign is by creating a community of people who support your brand.
There are a few things you need to do to create a strong community around your brand:
- Personalization. To make members of your community feel like they’re accepted and not seen as just another customer, make sure to personalize the content they receive from you. This includes emails, social media ads, and even popups that offer products based on their browsing history.
- Video tutorials. Show people in your community how products are used and what kind of benefits they can enjoy by creating engaging video tutorials
- Online reviews. Your online community needs proof they can trust you, and you can earn their trust with online reviews. The average consumer spends 13 minutes and 45 seconds reading reviews before making a decision, so the best way to grow your community is through positive online reviews.
However, it can be hard to create an online beauty community from the ground up and that is why you need to use reliable online community software. With it, you can create a stand-alone or integrated community website where your users will interact with your brand.
They will be able to follow you and start discussions, make comments and share content. Additionally, you can add social widgets to instantly add social components to your website and use powerful tools. All of this will lead to organic growth and allow you to build brand authority and retain customers.
Marketing Products for All Genders
Since its creation, the beauty industry has directed almost all of its focus on women, and all marketing was centered on how beauty products were created for and used by females. Online beauty marketing has changed that and in the past few years, beauty products have become gender-neutral.
Perceptions of gender expectations and traditional masculinity are definitely evolving. Nowadays, more men are interested in buying and testing beauty products for themselves. For over a century, male-focused products have mostly related to hair loss prevention and shaving, but not anymore.
A new generation of male consumers has appeared, and marketing has changed accordingly. To meet the needs of this evolving market, you need to understand what motivates different customers and why someone would want to use your product.
Men and women have different wants and needs from their beauty products, and so beauty companies have created special lines of men’s personal products. These products are traditionally marketed differently and they also come in special packaging and scents that are considered to be more masculine.
Taking Advantage of Influencer Marketing
YouTube and Instagram influencers are a new type of celebrity. These people have generated massive followings on social media, which allows them to promote brands successfully, utilizing the benefits of influencer marketing and the importance of hashtags.
Most old-school marketers don’t understand the power of influencer marketing, but not using influencers in marketing campaigns is a big, missed opportunity. Younger generations respect recommendations from their favorite creators even more than those from friends and family.
Businesses are making $5.20 for every $1 spent on influencer marketing, but they aren’t only generating revenue, they’re also building their public image through positive association.
The most important thing to realize regarding influencer marketing is that you really need to know your target audience so you can choose the right influencers to promote your brand. Find influencers who are in your niche and create partnerships where they will promote your brand.
The main goals of influencer marketing include:
- Generating sales. Just like with all types of marketing, the main goal is to get people to be interested in your product and to purchase it.
- Reaching a wider audience. Since influencers have a large following, when they introduce your brand to their followers, they will help you reach a wider audience and increase brand awareness.
- Improving brand advocacy. Word-of-mouth is a powerful marketing tool. If an influencer promotes your product, reviews it, or does a tutorial on how to use it, they will improve the advocacy of your brand among their followers and fans.
- Driving lead generation. Influencers hold a lot of their follower’s data which can be useful for lead generation. If they organize giveaways and ask their followers to subscribe for your newsletter or set up an account on your website, you will instantly have more leads.
Using Subscription Boxes
Sending products directly to your customers and skipping retailers allows you to generate a larger profit while also creating two-way communication with your consumers. Many brands do this with subscription boxes, which have been popular for years and it seems like they are here to stay.
The concept of subscription boxes is very simple, yet effective. A person who is interested in a brand signs up for a subscription and they get a box of products delivered to them on a regular (usually monthly) basis.
Subscription boxes are beneficial for both you and your customers. They significantly lower customer acquisition costs and increase the average revenue per user, while also allowing you to have more control over inventory management.
The main benefit customers see is a price reduction because by eliminating retail costs, you can offer products to customers for a much lower price.
Before you start a subscription box service, you need to build initial awareness and have some satisfied customers so this business model can take off. The next step is to decide what kind of box you want to offer.
Typically, these boxes can either be filled with products that are hand-selected by the customer or with surprise items the seller chooses. The second option is usually more popular because it brings the element of surprise into shopping.
Just like with any other industry, the beauty industry changes its marketing trends and tactics based on customers’ preferences and behaviors. The rise of the internet has created all of the trends you just read about, and that is what customers want to see from their favorite beauty brands.
Old-school marketing just isn’t effective anymore, especially for younger generations, who represent the majority of consumers in the beauty industry. So, if you want to find success in the constantly changing beauty industry, it’s time to learn all the new trends and follow them.
This article has been published in accordance with Socialnomics’s disclosure policy.