How to Create a Location on Instagram
Do You Know How to Create a Location on Instagram? Find Out In This Useful Guide
Posting your location on Instagram is a very personal thing to do. Perhaps for privacy reasons you’d rather people not know when you’re out of the house or traveling on business? After all, if you have a public profile, you’re telling everyone that there’s no one home – and it could be risky! However, for businesses and influencers looking to build their brand, there’s every reason to use a location on Instagram. Especially if you’re local (even if you sell a product online, it’s always good to offer a localized service) or an influencer.
The whole idea of what you do is to show others lifestyle images to make the brands you love much-coveted (and to elevate your status!). If you’re unsure how to create a location on Instagram, we’ll tell you how it’s done and give you some other reasons why using it could be useful for you in this piece. Explore Instagram’s locations on this page.
Why You Should Learn How to Create a Location on Instagram
Knowing how to create a location on Instagram is important because we think it’s an underrated feature that’s useful for brands and businesses, anywhere. The key reasons are as follows:
- Having a location on your Instagram profile is a quick way to share your address information so you’re easily discovered by Instagram users.
- It helps to grow your followers. Not having much luck? Can you buy followers on Instagram instead – yes you can, but only use a reputable company to do so, one with genuine Instagram users on its databases. You can also buy likes on Instagram – 2022 is an exciting year for marketing companies using the right tech to target followers directly to your profile!
- You can also inject some humor by using some fun locations, this makes you more approachable and you get some of your own personality into your brand!
- You can also use your location in your tone of voice. For example, if you’re a swimwear brand, a hot, desert island for a beach-side photoshoot should sit well with your tone of voice, especially when it comes to adding a caption to your location image or video.
- You should also get yourself verified too as it gives your business or brand credibility, find out how in this piece here: https://studybreaks.com/thoughts/how-to-get-verified-on-instagram-get-yourself-a-business-account-thats-recognized/.
Whatever your goal is, we’ll give you the tools to create a location on Instagram below.
How to Create an Instagram Location – Useful Steps
- First, you need to be set up on Facebook and Instagram (and link your account).
- If you’ve done the above step, log in to your Facebook account.
- Next, create your post.
- Locate the “check-in” button.
- Select the “check-in” option.
- Facebook will request to find your location.
- If it can’t find your location, you can manually use the map that will be displayed to you to find your location.
- Next, using the search bar, type in the name of your location.
- Locate the + option which is at the bottom of your screen.
- Now, you can customize the location, so it becomes your own!
- For example, let’s use the beach above, if you’re on Miami Beach, change it to “hot ‘n’ sultry Miami Beach” – that’s just an example, feel free to use whatever you want!
- Once you’ve added your customized location name and location information, simply select “save custom place” and it will be saved for as long as you want it. Next time you check in, it will be suggested to you as a location.
- Have a look at other users’ location tags for inspiration too!
NOTE! When you create your own customized location, the system automatically develops your own business profile page. As a good tip, getting Instagram Creator Studio will help you with a lot of extra features on Instagram, find out more in this handy guide here: https://www.negup.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-instagram-creator-studio/.
Can’t See Your New Location?
To know how to create a location on Instagram and that it’s worked – you need to check below, especially if you can’t see your brand-new location. Has any of the following happened?
- You’ve waited a while, perhaps even a few hours and yet your new customized location hasn’t shown up on Instagram!
- Facebook deems your new customized location as invalid; this is probably because you haven’t included enough detail.
- Have you claimed your business page? Often the reason why your location isn’t showing is that you haven’t claimed your automatically created business page on Facebook!
How To Create a Location on Instagram WITHOUT Facebook
You may well be asking how to create a location on Instagram without using Facebook – and whether or not you can do this. The answer is no, you can’t create a location on Instagram without using Facebook. You can only use the locations that are already available on Instagram. There are plenty to choose from but they’re not customizable. Why can’t you create a location without using Facebook? We’re not sure – but it’s a clever marketing trick to make sure that Instagram users also have a Facebook account, after all, Facebook owns Instagram.
However, the good news is that while you can’t create a location on Instagram without having a Facebook account, you can still tag your location in your posts, and you can get creative with your tags. So, those customized locations we were talking about a little earlier in this post are still relevant, simply add the # symbol instead.
Add Your Location to Your Profile Page
Don’t forget to add your location to your profile page too – tell your followers where your business is located because it helps with brand recall, and add your customized hashtag if you want to as well. Location tagging is still an option, and we’d recommend using it for all brands, businesses, and Influencers on all your posts, whether a regular post on your newsfeed, on IGTV, on Instagram Live, your Stories, and on your Carousel posts.
How to Create a Location on Instagram – Instagram Stories
Let’s just quickly put some information down on how to create a location on Instagram on your Instagram stories.
- Log in to your Instagram account.
- Visit your profile page.
- Locate your profile picture button (top left side of your screen)
- Click on this.
- Select create a story.
- Post your story by swiping left.
- At this point, select the emoji option.
- Search “Location”.
- Next, search for your own location or you could type in your address.
- Click on your location.
- Position it wherever you want on your Instagram Story.
- Post your story!
Final Words on How to Create a Location on Instagram
So, while you can’t yet customize your location on Instagram without a Facebook account to support it, you can still tag your location using your own, customized hashtag. You can also add locations to all of your posts, whether on a news feed, in your Story, on IGTV, or in your Live. Don’t forget to add your location to your bio as well, to tell your audience where you’re located, this is, as we’ve said, very important for building your local audience and generating local sales.
This article has been published in accordance with Socialnomics’ disclosure policy.