How to Build a Website in Just 3 Steps (Newbies Special)
Do you want to build your digital identity? If yes, you need a professional website. In today’s tutorial, we will walk you through each and every step needed to create an eye-pleasing and professional website.
So, stick to the tutorial to the very end.
Step 1. Choose a Website Building Platform
Primarily, there are 3 ways to build a website i.e. Content Management System (CMS), Website Builder and Website Coding from scratch.
Let’s learn about each of them one by one.
CMS: In modern time, Content Management System has become an advanced website building tool that not only helps in website creation but also manages it.
Speaking of leading CMS platforms, WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla are 3 of the top market leaders. All of these platforms are free and open source.
WordPress is the most preferred platform among these three.
All 3 CMS platforms have been built using PHP. They all support themes, templates, and various other sorts of customizations.
However, when it comes to user-friendliness and maintainability, WordPress always has the upper hand. WordPress is usually an obvious choice to those entirely new to website building.
Website Builder: With each passing year, automation is achieving a new milestone.
The Website Builder is an advanced website building tool that comes with a drag-and-drop feature that lets users create a website within a few minutes.
Even users who lack development experience can easily use this tool. In comparison to the CMS platform, website builders are quite efficient and quick.
Coding: This method can be used by only those who have at-least basic development knowledge. If you want to create your site from scratch, you can go with this method.
Step 2. Choosing a Hosting & Domain Name
Once you have finalized which platform you are going to use, the next step should be choosing an ideal hosting partner that is fully compatible with your chosen platform. If you are not sure which hosting site is good for you, begin with a free hosting site.
Make sure the hosting partner you are choosing is competent to meet efficiency and quality. It must have optimal uptime, infrastructure, and other needed resources.
Picking a Domain Name
Since the domain name is the main identity of your site, you shouldn’t take it casually. It’s the site name that users will type into their browsers.
Choosing the right domain is also important from a search engine point of view.
Here are some tips to get a good domain name.
- Always keep your domain name short, maximum of two words.
- Your domain name should give your people an idea about your business.
- Pick a relevant domain extension. For instance ‘.com’ is a global domain, but depending on the nature of your site, you can choose a different option.
- The domain name should be easy to pronounce.
Step 3. Building a Website
Congratulations! You have successfully reached the 3rd and final step. We are assuming that you have chosen the WordPress platform. So, let’s proceed with the next steps.
1. Installation of WordPress
First, you need to install WordPress. It can be easily done by the auto-installer provided by your hosting provider.
Let’s take it step-by-step.
- Login to your hosting account and access its control panel.
- Click on the auto-installer icon.
- Search for WordPress. Click on the latest version of WordPress.
- Next, enter your website address, username, password, email, website title, and tagline.
- Click on ‘Install.’
It is as simple as that. Once WordPress is installed, move on to the next step.
2. WordPress Configuration
Remove the default post and page.
After installing WordPress, you need to delete the post, page, and comment created automatically.
Go to the dashboard of your site, and then choose Move to Bin.
For Post- Go to Posts-> All posts
For Page-Go to Pages->All pages
For Comment-Go to the Comments section and delete the default comment.
3. Time Zone and Site Language Settings
Next, configure your website language and timezone. Go to Settings -> General.
4. Install WordPress Themes
The appearance of your site relies on your theme, so choose it wisely. You can find a large number of free themes on WordPress official theme repository.
Installing a theme is quite straightforward, you just need to follow the below steps:
- Go to your WP dashboard.
- Choose Appearance->Themes->Add New.
- Search for your favorite theme and click on Install and then Activate.
5. Customizing Theme
After activating a theme, you will need to customize it according to your requirements. For customization, click on the Customization button available on your theme. You can make changes in your widgets, header media, menus, etc. You can also add additional CSS to give your site a certain functionality.
6. Installing Important WP plugins
Plugins add different functionalities and features on your site. Here are some must-have plugins for a WordPress site:
- Wordfence Security — The plugin protects from hackers and other security threats.
- Yoast SEO — It helps optimize your site for search engines.
- Google XML Sitemaps — It is the most recommended plugin for generating an XML sitemap so that your site can get a better search engine ranking.
- Contact Form 7 — This is a popular WP plugin used for building a contact form.
7. How to Add Your First Post
Are you excited to create your first post on WordPress? Follow these steps:
- Access your dashboard.
- Go to Posts->Add New.
- The ‘Add a New Post’ window will open in front of you.
- Next, add content to the giant box.
In order to customize your post, you can use various tools. To add images and videos, click on ‘Add Media’.
Once you have completed your first post hit the ‘Publish’ button.
And there you go!
We hope you enjoyed the promoted piece as much as we did!