Use Wikipedia to Boost Your Business’ SEO & Content Marketing Efforts
These days, there are plenty of online promotional channels to advertise one’s business such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. However, people often wonder if they can add Wikipedia to this list? Well, in hindsight, our question is — why not? In fact, using Wikipedia for marketing and branding your business can prove to be the best tool to boost your business’ SEO and marketing strategy.
Every one of us relies on Wikipedia when it comes to confirming the authenticity of a piece of information. In fact, we rely on Wikipedia to the extent that it is the first link we click on when there’s a Wikipedia entry on the Google Search page. Without a doubt, Wikipedia is one of the most effective tools to expand your business SEO and content marketing strategy, however, using it as a business tool is not everyone’s cup of tea. There are a lot of things you need to get a hold of before you can even think of using Wikipedia to your advantage.
Wikipedia is well-respected by Google and has proved to be an extremely high-domain authority. As per a study conducted in 2007, it’s been revealed that the information updated on Wikipedia is nearly as authentic as that of the information published in the Encyclopedia Britannica.
You need to understand that Wikipedia is a non-profit organization. They do not get any monetary benefit out of publishing pages. Hence, their sole focus is to provide their readers with an access to unbiased and neutral information. These statistics give you a better understanding of the fact of just how powerful Wikipedia is. However, to use this online empire to your advantage, you need to start following their no-follow rule. It means that you can’t use any such links in your Wikipedia article that have anything to do with you in any way. If you continue adding links to your website, you can be added to their spam list. You’ll simply have to look for other methods that can help boost your business.
For instance, there are certain examples where the link for a particular business, even though placed at a very insignificant place (below all the reference links), helps the business owner get at least 50 visitors a week, which is not a small number in relevance to the insignificance where the link has been placed.
- Wikipedia likes to deal more in quality content rather than direct links to your website. Hence, you should start focusing on quality content rather than adding direct links to your website. To keep up with its reputation as an unbiased source of information, it demands accurate and authentic data from its users.
- You also don’t want to be conspicuous about your actions. Therefore, it’s advisable to put your business’ links in the references section instead of placing it in your article (it wouldn’t take the Wikipedia authorities more than 5 minutes to remove your business link from there and put it in the spam list).
- Most importantly, if you have a budding business and you are planning to create a brand new Wikipedia account for your business, your brand must have the amount of credibility required to be on a Wikipedia page.
Even though Wikipedia is known to encourage articles on big brands yet not discovered on its page, it’s necessary that your brand should have a history of news and media articles attached to it.
- If your brand is in the news often, the chances of your article being accepted is higher. To get a better idea of how to use this important feature of Wikipedia to your benefit, you can always refer to Policybazaar Wikipedia Page to check how effortlessly it has been used in different news and media articles about its brand as a citation.
- Always remember that Wikipedia drives on neutral content. So, try to get your article written by someone who is not associated with your business as a way to make it as unbiased and neutral as possible.
In case you want to do it all by yourself, you have to start building up your credibility by editing different Wikipedia pages to make their information neutral and accurate.
Wikipedia users are supposed to follow basic etiquette to be able to publish on Wikipedia:
- Start working on your credibility like having a credible user profile to demonstrate that you are interested in contributing authentic and useful information to Wikipedia.
- Wikipedia has different talk pages where you can interact with other Wikipedians to exchange your views on the particular pages you want to edit.
- There might be instances where you have made an edit to a particular page and someone has changed it back to the original piece. The best thing to follow in this scenario would be to reach out to that editor and find out his reason for doing so. It will help you discuss the potential changes which can result in a much better outcome.
- Wikipedia also has a watch function which can be used to follow the particular articles you are interested in or the articles that are important to you.
- Wikipedia also arranges regular meet-ups and you should attend these meet-ups to build a strong network with other Wikipedia editors.
In the end, all these technicalities involved in Wikipedia SEO might seem a bit overwhelming to you, however, all these efforts are going to be fruitful for your Business’ SEO and Business strategy. Wikipedia is trusted as the greatest source of SEO and business traffic and your time and efforts will help you secure a great source of traffic in the long run.
We hope you enjoyed the promoted post as much as we did!