Web Performance Testing: 5 Free Open-Source Tools to Consider
In the world of developers, it is a fact that software or apps that work in an optimal framework will not work in a real-time situation. That’s why developers all around the world prefer to use performance testing tools that help to find bugs and other bottlenecks to make software and applications running smoothly and perfectly.
Suppose you are puzzled between several tools and can’t decide which tool is best. Then always remember the fact that there are many valuable testing tools and selenium tutorial are available all over the internet. Before the official release event, you can utilise them to confirm that the newly developed application or software is fault-free and work seamlessly.
Why Developers Need Performance (Load) Testing Tools?
- The performance testing tools reveal many significant improvements that a developer should fix before the official launch.
- These tools also advise the collaborators regarding the stability, speed, and scalability of the app.
- These tools generate a report that ensures the proper working of software and application, while numerous users are using the app or software simultaneously.
- Performance testing tools also check the instability among several operating systems.
- For websites, testing tools can be used to collect information about their visitors, such as how they are accessing the site and what they liked the most in the whole website. After connecting information about the visitors, the developer can identify the ways to improve user experience.
Fortunately, there are several free and paid performance testing tools available on the internet. You can use any one of them to check the performance of e-commerce, mobile apps, and any other system.
Here is a list of load checking tools and attributes of all of them. This list includes tools that can be utilised for both open-source and commercial testing.
#1 Web Application Performance Tool (WAPT)
WAPT is designed and developed to test websites and internet applications performance. With this tool, a developer can determine the performance and output of any web application or website. Web Application Performance Tools can test web applications. Many developers also prefer to use it for testing the compatibility of developed software and applications with the windows application.
The Core Features of WAPT are as follows:
It offers a vast list of extensions to work with Adobe Flash ASP.net and Silverlight.
- Whenever it detects a bug, it automatically sends reports to desktop and mobile devices for convenience.
- The Toad Test results are revealed in 20 dissimilar detailed reports.
- WAPT provides descriptive graphs during the runtime for tracking accurate performance.
#2 IBM Rational Performance Tester
This tool is developed by IBM Cooperation. It is a mechanical load and performance testing tool. It helps the developers to determine the reason for system performance bottlenecks. RPT also helps the team of developers to validate the reliability and scalability of the web application before deployment into the production process.
Features of Rational Performance Tester
It allows developers to test load against apps like TCP Socket, SAP, Siebel, Citrix, SIP, HTTP.
- Pinpoint and rectify leakages in the web servers and websites.
- RPT is compatible with several operating systems such as Mac OS X, AIX, and Microsoft Windows.
- A developer can use this tool for both server-based applications and web-based applications.
- This tool sends real-time reports to the testers for immediate awareness of performance problems that occur during a test.
This testing tool is also used to check the proper working of web applications, websites, APIs and smartphone applications and games. The BlazeMeter provides supple plans which are also able to work with several tools such as Selenium, Apache JMeter.
Features of BlazeMeter
- The BlazeMeter quickly spot the defects by using its onboard error report feature.
- After completing the test, the developer gets an illustrative and mutual report timeline chart to make a final report.
- If a developer wants to use this tool for extensive load check, then he can use both features, i.e. API frontend and backend.
- The BlazeMeter allows developers to apply JSON and YAML syntax languages.
#4 Silk Performer Tool
This tool is used to check the pressure and load of mega applications, such as ERP and CRM. It can check several applications at once with up to 1000 plus simultaneous end users. Silk Performer Tool is specially customised to provide a compatible user experience over different devices along with the support of an ample range of protocols.
The Core Features of Silk Performer Tool:
- The highest load plot can be produced to know the exact limit of server, application and website.
- With this tool, the real-time load checks and user pattern can be affected.
- All the previous tests can be used to accelerate the load check cycle.
- The Silk Performer Tool gives integration with APM tools to solve malfunctions of software and apps like loitering objects, memory leaks, etc.
- It performs a full-length problem check test to recognise defects from a user point of view.
#5 HP Performance Tester (LoadRunner) Tool
HP performance testing tool is another version of LoadRunner. By using this tool, a developer can lower the cost of divided load and also reduce the chances of risks which a developer faces while deploying systems that don’t meet performance requirements.
The Core Features of HP Performance Testing Tool
- This tool is handy to collect tracking data.
- It provides browser-based access to almost every compatible test resource.
- It helps to lower the software and hardware costs by predicting system capability.
- Always analyse and minimise the risk of deploying systems using valuable enterprise load testing.
- Helps to determine the main reason for application performance problems.
- Scale from individual projects to a full-scale testing Center of Excellence that standardised best practices merge hardware and leverage global test resources.