Collaboration as a Tactic in Negotiations
Negotiation is an integral part of every business dealing. Having excellent negotiation skills can be the difference between making a considerable profit and a detrimental loss in any business dealing. It is often needed to resolve conflicts and finalize agreements in almost every business deal.
Beyond business, having an excellent bargaining skill is vital in building a career, maintaining relationships, or even finding the most comfortable spot to enjoy a night out with friends. However, the need for negotiation in business can never be overlooked.
Importance of Negotiation
- Negotiations are essential in making profound use of opportunities.
- It gives you access to tools and resources that are pivotal to your growth and success.
- Furthermore, being a good negotiator helps build relationships. After all, diplomacy helps in building ties among nations, and to avoid or resolve conflicts amicably.
- Also, a good negotiation helps you understand the other party’s perspective.
Making the best bargain in every situation is not just a function of random negotiations.
It takes time, effort, and of course, tact to have seamless negotiations. Often, people face situations that require strong negotiation skills to overcome. Battling with inadequate negotiation skills might make or mar the progress of any deal, and at any point, such pitfalls, are most times inevitable for almost everyone. Using the workplace as a case study, without having a standard metric system to determine when an employee should be due for a salary increment or promotion, the employee may always have to negotiate with his employer in order not to remain in the same job position or pay grade after a period of time.
Excellent bargaining skills are most times the reason two equally qualified staff with similar work experience are placed on different salary structures in the same organization. Most people making an entrance in the business world find it hard to negotiate and try as much as possible to avoid negotiations. Instead of settling for less-than-satisfactory deals, you can build your negotiation skills using an online medium. While negotiation plays a crucial role in people’s working lives, the negotiation society is the world’s first dynamic community of over 20,000 members. It provides a platform for learning the valuable art of negotiation.
Different Negotiation Tactics Suited for Different Situations
As situations differ, so are the approaches in the act of negotiation. There are about five tactics of negotiation, and they are all effective in their particular regards. The different tactics are:
- Competitive: Interested in giving results and as a result, push and persuade until an agreement is reached.
- Compromising: Primarily concerned with finding a middle ground for both parties to agree. Most times, both parties are left unsatisfied as the agreement is half-hearted.
- Collaborative: Such negotiation seeks the interests of both parties and considers options that will favor both sides satisfactorily.
- Accommodating: Chooses relationships over results and is willing to concede and make concessions to enjoy patronage. Such a tactic favors only the other party in the end.
- Avoiding: Stays away from having a negotiation as much as possible. It allows the other party to make decisions and flows along with it instead.
However, the most widely effective negotiation tactic is collaboration. When employing the use of collaboration in your negotiation tactic, you will be most likely seen as open and honest. It involves finding a creative solution that satisfies the concerns of all stakeholders. This tactic is favored by many, as it is highly assertive and at the same time, cooperative. It smoothens relationships and at the same time, helps to obtain the best possible outcomes.
Collaborative negotiation is seen as a win-win situation.
It encompasses all other styles of negotiation and is most effective in building long-term relationships and outcomes in business.
- The aim of collaborating is to work together to achieve a common objective.
- For the best results from collaborative negotiations, it is best to request for something in return for every agreement.
- Also, ask the other party for help whenever you are at a standstill and try to communicate openly without exposing too much.
We hope you enjoyed this promoted piece as much as we did!