Top 5 Duplicate File Finders For Mac
Duplicate files are a common nuisance for web developers and a real catastrophe for tech professionals that deal with a lot of files in their workspace. If you make a lot of file backups and copies on a daily basis, it’s likely that you already have duplicates. They waste space and serve no real purpose, so the question is – why keep them? In this article, we will go over the main best duplicate file finders that you can use to instantly get rid of duplicates.
Duplicate File Finder stands out from other apps in the same field as a top-shelf duplicate file remover solution, one of the few to offer comprehensive search features. In this application, most of the functions are available for free, which already makes it one step ahead of its competitors for both usability and pricing. It’s also worth noting that once you have upgraded to the PRO version, you will gain access to exclusive paid features that the free version does not offer. This is a great solution for tech professionals and business people alike because of its file organizational features such as Merge Folders and Select Duplicates in Folder that will help you merge files together safely in a way that prevents any accidental file removal.
Free for most functions. Paid version includes exclusive PRO features for a one-time purchase of $9.99.
1. Outstanding scanning speed, which appeals greatly to users with a heavy hard drive.
2. A user-friendly interface with a wide range of search features to use.
3. The free version has most features unlocked and they are constantly updated by a team of in-house developers.
4. Provides the best features of selecting and removing duplicates in bulk
1. Settings related to duplicate search features can be difficult for some users to interpret.
2. Time-saving features can only be unlocked in the PRO, paid version of the app.
MacPaw, a company that specializes in Mac software products, has developed Gemini 2, a duplicate cleaner app that lives up to its reputation. Gemini 2 offers an advanced search algorithm and a modern-looking design that appeals to a wide audience. With dozens of languages supported, it is one of the first choices for international users. Relating to cost, it is still somewhat expensive as users need to pay on an annual basis to keep using it.
Starts at $19.95 yearly subscription for one machine.
1. Supported by plenty of languages, which appeals to a large audience.
2. Modern design, unlike any other duplicate file finder.
3. Advanced search features, filters, and preferences.
1. Expensive. Users in western countries are not even ready to pay that much for an app.
2. It requires a large amount of memory while operating and scanning for duplicates.
3. Their Smart Cleanup isn’t always accurate and can potentially cause more harm than good.
4. Often makes false duplicate detection for screenshot images
Easy Duplicate Finder!, originally developed by WebMinds, is an application designed to locate and automatically remove duplicates for you. Fast scan speed, paired with a simple easy-to-use interface, makes the program a popular solution. Although the program does a fairly decent job scanning for duplicates, you won’t be given much choice when it comes to search filters, preferences or settings. There are so-called “scan modes”, but they aren’t very straightforward and users have reported them to work improperly.
Starts at $39.95 per yearly subscription for one machine.
1. It’s fairly simple to start scanning for duplicates with the user-friendly interface.
2. Allows scanning iTunes, Photos, Dropbox, and Google Drive.
1. Slow scan speed, especially considering the price that you pay for the product.
2. Scan modes can be difficult to use for the average user.
3. Lack of any advanced search features.
4. Much more expensive than other duplicate finders
dupeGuru is a fairly popular app among duplicate file finders, primarily because it is free. That’s right- you can use this app for free, as its developers haven’t monetized it in any way. The downside is that it is no longer being updated. With no updates, maintenance or support team, you have to face the fact that it is a quite limited application.
1. Open source free application.
2. You can customize exactly which type of duplicate files to be found.
3. Supported in multiple languages.
1. Updates are no longer provided for this app, which means you will likely experience bugs and limited functionality.
2. Very limited interface in comparison to other finder apps.
3. Slow scan speed reported by users.
4. Provides only basic duplicate detection and removal features.
Duplicate Detective is a straightforward utility app that serves one purpose- to find duplicate files and with your permission, have them removed from your Mac. It’s nothing too complex and it is also the cheapest of all the paid options. While you might think it sounds too good to be true, it isn’t. Duplicate Detective lacks proper search features that are standard with every modern duplicate file finder.
You can use the free trial and pay $4.99 once for the full version.
1. Cheapest of all the paid duplicate file finders for Mac; buy it once and use it forever.
2. Decent scan speed for the small fee that you pay for this app.
3. For an app that specializes in just one feature, the design is simplistic in a good way.
1. No advanced search features are included, which would be necessary for the removal of large duplicate files.
2. The automated Smart Select is weak compared to all other paid options.
3. Settings and preferences are almost non-existent in this app.
4. Its basic duplicate removal features are time-consuming; you might spend hours selecting duplicates to remove.
The market for duplicate file finders is rather small, so both tech and business specialists aren’t given much choice when it comes to wiping out duplicates. Fortunately, most of the solutions out there come with a free trial to test the waters out. Whichever duplicate file remover software you decide to go with, we would still advise that you properly research the companies behind those apps and how experienced they are in software development. Or simply go for the free versions and see if they work for you first.