Did the the idea of spying on someone’s cell phone ever cross your mind? Well, if it had, it’s important for you to know that it’s more dangerous than you think. Mobile spying app industry is getting big, and it’s going to be around $4 billion in worth by 2017, but under no circumstance is that a positive clue that you should also start spying on others.
There are different prerequisites and legal obligations that you have to abide by before monitoring someone’s electronic device; and in this read, we will look at those preconditions of legal mobile spying, plus things that make it illegal. Later, we will also tell you how to detect if you are being spied and some instructions on removing spyware from your devices.
Can you monitor someone’s mobile device?
Yes, “monitoring” is actually legal, and in strict statutory terms, what differentiates monitoring from spying is the legal consent that you don’t take while “spying” on someone. There is no harm in monitoring your employees, children or spouse’s electronic devices, if they know that you have been doing it.
But it’s not that simple.
Most people resort only to discreet mobile spy that could aid undetectable cell phone monitoring and there two reasons for that. First, they believe that can’t know the truth if the other person is aware that their device is being spied. Second, there are very less chances that someone would even agree to the monitoring of their cell phones.
Is it legal to sell mobile spying software?
Sale of mobile spying software is legal in almost every US state and it’s due to the disclaimer that these mobile spying companies add on their website, stating how it’s the responsibility of the user to comply by the applicable laws. Take a look at this excerpt from XNSPY’s disclaimer on its website.
“XNSPY software and services are designed only to be used to monitor your child or employee using your electronic equipment.We absolutely do not condone the use of our software for illegal purposes.”
There is more actually.
The app furthers talks about the legal prerequisites of using their software. These are the other preconditions:
- You acknowledge and agree that you own the device you will install the software onto or that you have obtained express written consent of the owner to be an authorized administrator of the device and its users.
- You agree that you will check all local, state and federal laws to make sure you are complying with all laws in your region. It may be illegal in your area to monitor other individuals on your own device. You will never monitor any adult without their valid permission.
- If you install XNSPY software applications onto a device, which you do not own, or without proper consent of the monitored user, we will cooperate with law officials to the fullest extent possible. This includes turning over the requested customer data, and any other purchase/product-related information.
What’s are the penalties?
The consequences of breaching someone’s privacy could be intense, but if a person is found guilty under the 18 U.S. Code § 2511 – Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited, a minimum fine of $500 will be imposed, while other consequences could get a lot more worse. If you need some more information on the Electronic Surveillance laws, you can take some help from the National Conference of State Legislatures website http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/telecom/electronic-surveillance-laws.aspx.
The varying uses of mobile monitoring apps
If you don’t intend to spy on someone, there are different positive uses of mobile monitoring apps.
- Use it as a child tracker: A dedicated mobile tracking app like XNSPY can give parents a complete walk through of their kids’ daily online routine who can then tweak it accordingly. We all know that our kids are overusing their gadgets, and legal cell phone monitoring can really help us with that.
- Use it for consensual spouse monitoring: Are you in a marriage and wants to know how your counterpart is doing? With consensual spouse monitoring, partners can keep track of each other’s activity, bridging the gap of mistrust and perplexities.
- Use it to monitor your employees: What could be more appalling than to know that your employees are mostly wasting their time during work? Well that’s pretty gruesome,but not knowing how your employees are doing is even worse. XNSPY can help business entrepreneurs with actuarial reports about their employees’ mobile device usage. It’s particularly very important in today’s tech-driven world.
Are you being spied?
If someone is using a discreet mobile spy on your phone or tablet, it could be hard to find it out, because these apps don’t show up in the installed apps list, neither they have any kind of shortcuts on the device. But even after all that, there are some clues that can you look into, like:
- Phone’s battery drains faster.
- Unexpected device reboots.
- Excessive use of mobile data.
- Phone turning hot from intense activity
How to get rid of the spyware?
Your only bet to get rid of any spying app from your device is to factory reset it. This will automatically remove all malware and spyware off your cell phone or tablet. You can also set limitations on third party apps installation on your device, because these spying apps can’t be remotely downloaded onto a device(a physical access is necessary). Also, keep a strong password on your device so that others aren’t able to track your keystrokes