Common Social Media Marketing Mistakes You Must Take Care Of
With the evolution of information technology, social media became an increasingly popular platform for various purposes. Individuals of all age groups began to make use of this facility to either connect to their friends or relatives abroad, to pass time when they are bored, to increase their chances of availing opportunities and to benefit their businesses in some way. Gradually, social media became a necessity for the users especially for entrepreneurs and students as they have a lot of work for which they need to rely on social media.
Businesses allocate a significant budget on marketing because they have to create a decent client base for themselves. A client base full of loyal customers will ensure you a fixed revenue due to which you will have to face minimum uncertainty in business operations. Social media marketing is one of the many ways of marketing your business and is said to be the best one given the reach it has despite being a cheap option. However, there is not one way to go about social media marketing as strategists prepare various strategies that they believe will be the most efficient in reaching the maximum users in the cheapest cost.
While designing strategies may not seem like a very difficult task, there are several common mistakes that people make in social media marketing. The mistakes might be due to lack of experience or just not being very careful about the strategies you design. Following are some of the most common ones:
- Accounts on all platforms initially: Since there are several platforms on which you can carry out social media marketing, a common mistake that strategists make is that they create accounts on all of them immediately. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn and several more social media platforms are not very easy to manage simultaneously until you hire a separate individual for a separate platform. Creating business accounts on social media is not all you have to do but the main task is to keep those accounts active and expand further for maximum reach. So start from a couple of accounts, promote them and then create accounts on other platforms.
- Use of non-credible tools and software: Using tools and software to make the social media marketing strategies as efficient as possible is a popular and wise act but what makes it go wrong is the use of non-credible and unauthentic tools that make the entire strategy ineffective. A very common example is that of hiring a firm or individual to get likes on your Facebook page without verifying for their credibility. In such a case, the likes you get are usually from inactive accounts which means that while a lot of inactive accounts would be following your business, they will not be your potential customers which is useless.So make sure that whatever tools or software you use, they are credible especially when you are paying for them.
- Not planning a strategy at all: It may seem a bit ridiculous to professionals but a very common mistakes that beginner social media marketing teams make is that they plan to go without any specific strategy. Their aim is to begin the marketing process and then go with the flow, adapting to whatever comes their way. A major problem with this is the fact that you are not able to predict the possible obstacles that might come your way. If these obstacles are expected, it is easier to deal with them and therefore, you must not continue with social media marketing without a planned strategy.
- Diversify the social media posts: Flooding your social media accounts with branding and business matters is not a great idea. Users often scroll through their newsfeed to find something entertaining and new so a better idea would be to create entertaining posts that are somehow relevant to your business or industry. A maximum of two or three business and brand specific posts should be enough to maximize reach and create a client base for your business.
- Do not over promote the brand: Throwing your brand at the social media users through excessive promotion and spamming is the greatest mistake one could make in social media marketing. Users are there to spend some good time and know about different products and services in the market and their newsfeed flooded with your brand name can annoy them. Also, mass promotion could be an indication of your brand being unpopular so do not make it obvious by making this mistake.
- Avoid negative campaigning at all costs: If your intentions are pure, you will go a long way in the world of entrepreneurship even if the competition is tough. Do not make attempts to create a negative image of your competitor through your campaigns unless that competitor specifically objectifies your brand in some way. You must always be prepared to come up with a reply that is not offensive but sounds brutal. Negative campaigning without any reason can reduce your potential clients as they know your intentions are not pure.
- No interaction through social media: Another mistake that a lot of social media marketing strategists make is that they do not care about how much clients are able to interact with the brand through social media platform. Hire a marketing team that is willing to take up this responsibility too and clarify the duties beforehand. Replying to user queries instantly on Facebook messenger or their comments on posts can lead to a higher number of potential customers turning into loyal clients for business. So either ask the marketing team to take care of it hire an individual who solely concentrates on page management and client relationship.
- Allocating budget incorrectly: Since you must have allocated a specific budget for social media marketing, you must make sure that it is spent wisely within the social media. Allocating the wrong budget to activities may lead to an inefficient social media marketing and thereby leaving no profits for you. Therefore, you must consult a number of professionals before allocating budgets so that you do not incorrectly do it and waste time.
These are the eight most common mistakes that social media marketing experts make so you can avoid these and make your strategy an efficient one.
Author bio: Alex Brandon is a media strategist at an advertising agency in California at Online Assignment Help. He studied photography and design at college and aims to begin his own designing firm after gaining some experience.